We deal with ‘fit and proper person’ appeals, suspensions, revocations or refusal to issue your licence or certifications. We can assist you with a number of organisations (listed below) that we regularly deal with in order to solve the issue which usually affects your livelihood. Pawson Law have lawyers who actually go to Court for you if need be.
The organisation may decide that they want to revoke or decline your licence or certification. There may be reasons for this such as accumulation of demerits, a conviction for an offence that casts a shadow of you being a ‘fit and proper person’ to hold that type of licence or certification. Sometimes the decision can be arbitrary and unfair.
We specialise in making submissions to the organisation on your behalf to try and avoid the disqualification/suspension/revocation/cancellation. If the NZTA have already made the decision, we under take appeals to the District Court to fight that decision, and higher Courts if we have to. We can help you with
New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA)
The NZTA may decide they want to revoke or decline your licence. There may be reasons for this such as accumulation of demerits, a conviction for an offence relating to road safety or that casts a shadow of you being a ‘fit and proper person’ to hold that type of licence. We specialise in making submissions to the NZTA on your behalf to try and avoid the suspension cancellation. If the NZTA have already made the decision, we under take appeals to the District Court to fight that decision, we can help you with
- Transport or Goods Service Licence (TSL, GSL),
- revocation on Medical grounds
Please note- we no longer deal with Inspecting Organisation (IO) or Vehicle Inspector (VI) issues
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
- Private Pilot Licence (PPL)
- Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)
- Operator’s certifications
- Engineering certifications
New Zealand Police
- Firearms Licence suspensions and revocations, Sometimes the decision can be arbitrary and unfair. We have noticed over the last few years that the Police have abused their powers in revocations and often use that authority for other unrelated purposes (to threaten or manipulate a citizen to do what they want or face a revocation of their firearms licence). We do Commissioner appeals and , appeals to the District Court, High Court and if necessary (beware these are on tight time frames and delay will disadvantage your appeal rights, and you will not be able to apply for a new Firearms licence for 5 years if you are revoked. contact us as soon as possible).
- Impoundment of private vehicles
- Impoundment of commercial vehicles by the Commercial Vehicle Safety Team (CVST)
District Licencing Committee (DLC), and Alcohol Regulatory Licencing Authority (ARLA)
- Liquor Licencing Applications or renewals. We can assist you to prepare your application and for a hearing if there are public objections or objections from the Police, Ministry of Health or the Licencing inspector. These hearings can be daunting and unfair when an Applicant appears unrepresented. Often this can affect your livelihood or your business. In our experience DLCs are made up of committee members whom do not fairly represent the community and they usually side with the Police or official agencies.
- If a decision was made to reduce your operating hours or decline your renewal /application, we have recent relevant appeal experience to ARLA and where the decision is particularly bad, to Judicial Review in the High Court
- Bar Managers Certificate
Medical Council of New Zealand
- Practise Certificate/ hearings/ submissions
How we charge
Our fees are reasonable and competitive. We offer a ‘fixed fee’ model for most cases we work as opposed to hourly rate (we don’t do 6 minute units!) and we also accepts credit card payments if you need help fast.
We believe in good communication with our confirmed clients, so if you have agreed to an agreed ‘fixed fee’, we do not depart from that unless you change the instructions or there are matters that you have not advised us of. We do not charge you for phone calls, letters, and other correspondence. We only charge for this if you instruct us on an hourly rate.